October 18, 2013
by Doug Aiken
Chapman Football Pregame Notes (10/19/13)
Pregame notes for Chapman's football game at Occidental on Saturday night are now available. Kickoff is schedule for 7 p.m. in Eagle Rock.
- Chapman's four-game winning streak is its longest in six years, tying the longest streak the Panthers have had under head coach Bob Owens. Another win would equal Chapman's best start in school history (5-0) in 1996. The school record winning streak was 13 games set between the 1995 and '96 seasons.
- The gaudy scoring figures Chapman has put up is a direct result of finishing offensive drives. Through four games, the Panthers have reached the red zone 27 times and have scored 27 times, including 24 touchdowns. They are one of only two teams in the nation with 100 percent red zone success.
- The Panthers have not just been scoring with unprecedented efficiency but spreading the wealth with a record 17 different players scoring TDs in four games. The previous record of 16 was established over the entire 1995 season. Chapman's leader in the end zone this year is senior RB Kyle White with five TDs.
- On the road the past three years, Chapman hadn't experienced much success winning just four of 14 games. But this year the Panthers have turned it around going 2-0 away from Orange and scoring 119 points in the process.
- Junior QB Michael Lahey had a breakout performance vs. Pomona-Pitzer throwing for over 300 yards for the first time in his career and tossing three TDs. He also rushed for another 49 yards. He leads the SCIAC in completion percentage (75.6) and touchdowns (8) and ranks sixth in the nation in pass efficiency (185.2).
- When is a backup quarterback not a backup quarterback? When he ranks No. 3 in Division III in kick returns. That's junior Kean Stancil, a true utility player who has thrown (and completed) one pass, rushed for 124 yards and is one of the top kick returners in the nation averaging 42.3 yds/return.
by Doug Aiken
Sports Information Director